Sunday 27 October 2013

Vrotswaf

There are many things for me to worry about. We should get the paperwork for our house move soon. I need to give up my main job. My Dad hasn't had a stroke but we're not sure what's wrong with him. Our flat is a total mess and the carpet resembles Mr Twit's beard. The Boy is obsessed with getting ducks in the park to fight over bread, while I fret about the swans getting to close to him.

I have been feeling very stressed about things. But then, it is the time of year that I also think about the summer holidays. I have looked at a couple of different places and have fallen in love.

I have fallen in love with Wroclaw. I cannot pronounce it. I don't know anything about it. But it looks like a beautiful gingerbread-esque Mitteleuropean city, which apparently has relatively few tourists.

And, and, there's another city we can combine with it, Gdansk, which I have long wanted to see. AND we can get a sleeper between the two. I love sleeper trains, and the romance of falling asleep in one city and waking in another. And we can see a bit of the Baltic Coast and also the national parks in the south.

So, rather than worrying about things that are actually in front of me, I have been doing my husband's head in by gabbling to him incessantly about Poland. I have just bought a book so I can learn Polish, and am about to look again for pictures of beautiful architecture.

I think when I face up to the reality of taking a toddler to a country where I cannot speak the language, it may seem less attractive. But at the moment the thought of escaping on holiday is keeping me going.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Dad.
    And I believe that in many cultures a toddler inspires people to help you, even if they can't understand you...
    Enjoy your daydreams while dealing with the move-stress!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to "Vrotswaf" on our recent trip to Poland, or to Gdansk (swallowing the "g") so I want you to go so I can live vicariously through you! From my observations, take kids overseas when they're toddlers, and still get amused at the little things, because it might be harder when they're older and have an opinion that everything except the latest video game is boring!

    ReplyDelete